The School of Chemical Engineering and Analytical Science is located in the North Campus or "Sackville Street Area" of the University, (formerly the UMIST Campus), right in the centre of Manchester.
The School is presently accommodated in four buildings across the Sackville Street and Main campuses.
We are based in The Mill and also have a new teaching-only building - The James Chadwick Building. In addition, there are two satellite research groupings based in The Photon Science Institute (PSI) and The Manchester Institute of Biotechnology (MIB).
See the directions for each building below, for comprehensive travel and location details.
School of Chemical Engineering and Analytical Science
The University of Manchester
University and car parking spaces are convenient and safe.
Paid public parking is available:
For The Mill and The Manchester Institute of Biotechnology
- Multi-storey car park "A" on Charles Street
For The Photon Science Institute and The James Chadwick Building
- Multi-storey car park "B" on Booth Street East
Principal car parks are denoted with a blue "P" icon on the Campus map (PDF).
If you have an appointment with a member of staff they may be able to provide you with a parking permit for the day.
Travel to meetings, lectures, seminars or conferences conveniently and sustainably via one of the university schemes and services:
- Shuttle bus - There are regular shuttle buses to pick up and drop off students at various points around the campus. These are also highlighted on the Campus map (PDF).
- By bike - Bike racks are available outside the main entrances to all of our buildings.
- By Foot – Use online tools such as Walkit or GPS Routes to plan the quickest route.
- Car share – A designated Greater Manchester private group has been established with members from Manchester Metropolitan University, University of Manchester, Central NHS Trust and Royal Northern College of Music.
The Manchester Conference Centre & Hotel is on Sackville Street, at the heart of the North Campus and close to The Mill.
See the Visit Manchester Interactive Map to locate other nearby accommodation.
For longer-term accommodation, see: