Prof Sven Schroeder (Dipl.-Chem. PhD CChem MRSC AMIChemE) - research
Molecular Engineering of Complex Chemical Systems
Our research vertically integrates all steps from molecules via processing to products. Our complex chemical systems analysis considers length scales from atoms/molecules to macroscopic products, and time scales from atomic and molecular excitations (sub-picoseconds) to shelf lives of products (years). Our specialty is high-throughput in situ screening by determination of molecular structure and development of associated supporting instrumentation. A typical project in my team is transdisciplinary, on the interfaces between chemistry, engineering, physics and materials science, combining aspects of
- In situ Process Monitoring in Microreactors
- State-of-the-art Spectroscopies and Microscopies
- Analysis and/or optimisation of complex systems by high-throughput experimentation
- Interface and Colloid Chemistry
- Surface and Solid State Physics of Applied Materials
- Instrument development
- Synchrotron radiation experiments (in situ spectroscopies and scattering)
Over the last years we have examined systems that are relevant for applied research in fields as diverse as soft solids, solution chemistry, nanotechnology, electronics, catalysis, adhesion, pharmaceuticals or fuel additives. We aim to patent the equipment we have designed and are looking for possibilities for commercialisation of the generated intellectual property.
Our team has been at Manchester since late 2002. We are also associated with the School of Chemistry.