Postgraduate study at a world ranking university
Study at the birthplace of chemical engineering and become part of a rich lineage of engineers who have trained at Manchester.
As one of a small group of elite chemical engineering departments in the UK, we combine the disciplines of chemical engineering, bioscience, chemistry, mathematics, and analytical and measurement science to deliver an outstanding multi-disciplinary learning experience. What's more, our excellent international reputation means a postgraduate qualification from Manchester ensures a significant boost to your global career opportunities.
This October, aim higher. Embark on advanced study in the industrial heart of the UK and future proof your career.
Places available for Autumn 2021
Looking to advance your career, deepen your expertise or get ahead in the job market?
Find more information on what a taught master's at Manchester could look like for you, the funding available and how to apply for an October 2021 start.
Additionally, re-watch talks from our recent virtual open week, chat to our students and explore our virtual tours, or use the finder below to find out more about the courses on offer, funding options and how to apply.
- We are in the top five of UK places to study chemical engineering (QS Rankings 2020)
- 90% of our research is described as "internationally excellent" or "world-leading" (REF 2014)
- Our £12 million James Chadwick building houses some of the best research facilities of any chemical engineering department in the UK
- Our Athena SWAN Silver award recognises our commitment to gender equality
Excellence in teaching
Chemical engineering is rapidly changing to meet 21st century demands in developing renewable energy supplies and sustainable processes, as well as supporting healthy lifestyles and good quality of life. Our teaching programme educates students through exploiting our world-leading expertise in solving these challenges with multiscale modelling tools. Post-graduates, for instance, will learn how to apply a molecular understanding to design formulated products and novel materials, or utilize state of the art optimization and design tools for developing innovative processes. The training is relevant to a range of industrial sectors including oil and gas, petrochemicals, healthcare, foods, pharmaceuticals, fine chemicals, and advanced materials.
You can expect to:
- Learn how to apply chemical engineering in a 21st-century context
- Access a broad research base enabling you to study the design, operation and integration of different complex systems - particularly industrial, biological and instrumentation
- Benefit from an impressive range of lab space, dedicated computer suites and large-scale industrial processing equipment, which we will ensure you have access to, as soon as it's deemed safe, in line with Covid-19 government and scientific advice
Coronavirus and ensuring the highest-quality student experience
From the moment you apply, we will work to ensure you have the very best student experience, in spite of the challenges imposed by the pandemic.
We're a truly international institution, welcoming thousands of people from across the world, so please know we are with you in this. We will support you every step in your journey with us to give you the platform you need to reach your potential. Manchester is here for you. We'll help you find your future.
Access to funding
The Faculty of Science and Engineering have developed a bursary scheme for Alumni of the University. You can benefit from a loyalty bursary of up to £2,200 for any of our Faculty of Science and Engineering Postgraduate Taught or Research courses, paid to you automatically after registration. Terms and conditions apply. You can find out more about our loyalty bursary on our bursary page.
Read about Nasiru's experiences as a MSc Advanced Chemical Engineering student.
Get to know the students and staff in the department by reading our blogs.
Our staff and students have access to the University’s range of excellent modern facilities.
Speak to our postgraduate admissions team for help or advice with your application.